Monday, July 4, 2011

Leaving the Kingdom...

It was a sad, yet exciting time, leaving The City of Angels. It holds so many fond memories for Amanda and I. Of course there are the not so great things that we certainly won't miss; taxis who get to second gear if you're lucky, the rats, the cockroaches, the flooding, the traffic jams, those really loud and annoying crappy two-stroke motorbikes, no booze on election days when you can't vote anyway, no booze on Buddhist days, the ever so frequently heard phrases 'mai dai' and 'mai mee' to name but a few...

But really, with no doubt, the good outweighs the bad by far. But hey, the reality is, we're heading to the Maldives so we really can't be too upset!

What a last day we had. We joined Charles, the MD from LaNotre where we were staying, for an opulent champagne breakfast of croissants, chorizo, Parma ham, cheeses, coffee, French bread and most importantly; pink champagne! The extra special thing though was Gary joining us, Louise popping by and David turning up in a BMW to give us a lift to the airport!!!!

A lovely way to go out. To top it all off, as the plane was very empty (I mean, let's be honest, how many people are going to the Maldives!), we got a cheap upgrade to business class. So the champers from the morning continued with Bollinger on the plane and us being the only two people in business class! I'm 01A and Mindy is 01C. You've gotta love it!




I think we are living well above our means somewhat... But as my dad has said on many an occasion, granted when we are all usually drunk, 'we pass this way but once'. How very true.







So I'll leave you with my fact of the day and as I'm on a plane I'll keep it aeronautical. The fastest plane ever is the Blackbird and what a plane! It was another one of the many things my dad taught me as a boy. The Galaxy (then the biggest flying plane if I recall) and the Blackbird. I had a poster of it on my wall and it still inspires me today, even though it's now just a retired spy plane.

If any of you read these facts of the day and they come up in a pub quiz, please have a quick drink for me.

Cheers!

Dave Canavan MSc
www.thechingchokhunter.com

Location:Aboard Bangkok Airways

2 comments:

  1. Wahoo! So happy for the both of you!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont you ever had booze in the tea cup on buddhist days ? who says u cant have booze on the buddhist days :)

    ReplyDelete